Monday, December 5, 2016

Denise, Why Did You Choose Johns Hopkins SAIS?

Choosing a graduate school was definitely one of the toughest decisions I have ever had to make in my life. Since I didn’t have any full time work experience (being that I was still an undergraduate student), I wasn’t expecting to get into the majority of the schools that I applied to and when I did I was faced with the reality of having to factor in the quality of education, surrounding area, finances, and my long term goals when weighing the pros and cons of each school.

At the end of the day, I chose Johns Hopkins SAIS because of its strong International Development program and because I felt very welcomed when I came to its Open Houseday after I had gotten admitted. The International Development Program provided the perfect mix of economic and social courses that I thought would make me competitive in the job market. I also really appreciated the fact that the school was in DC since I knew that there would be a great number of internship opportunities in the surrounding area. In terms of personal factors, I liked the fact that my parents and my close friends lived in the area and that I was familiar with the area. At the end of the day though, the decisive factor for me though boiled down to how comfortable I felt when I visited the campus and how I just felt like it would be the best fit out of all of the other schools I applied to.

Thanks for reading!
Denise Bonsu (MA'18)