Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Meet Ben Pollok, 2016 Student Blogger

Hello everyone! My name’s Ben Pollok, and I am a second year MA candidate at SAIS, pursuing a concentration in China Studies with a specialization in Emerging Markets. I’m a San Diego native, but attended college in upstate New York (Colgate University) and worked for a total of four years prior to enrolling at SAIS. Two of those years were in China, where I worked for Peking University in international recruiting and admissions.

Like many, I came to SAIS with the intention of pivoting to a different career path. I’m primarily interested in US-China cooperation in international development, and China’s growing role in the IFIs (including the newly-established AIIB and NDB). After graduating, I hope to work for a development organization, such as the World Bank or the Asian Development Bank, in social development and inclusion issues, preferably in Asia.

When I’m not doing coursework, I can probably be found playing tennis, taking advantage of one of DC’s free museums, or playing bocce in Logan Circle. I co-lead SAIS’ LGBTI student organization, and am involved in planning some of the on-campus China lectures and events.

Thanks for reading,
Ben Pollok