Friday, October 23, 2015

Student Spotlight: Sheimaliz Glover

Our very first Student Spotlight this fall features Sheimaliz Glover, a second-year SAIS MA student concentrating in International Law and Organizations. Glover is a Pickering Fellow, MA student interviewer, and former State Department Intern.

















You’re a Pickering Fellow. For our readers who aren’t familiar, the Pickering fellows are appointed as Foreign Service Officers after completing grad school. Why did you choose to pursue a career with the Foreign Service?
From an early age, my parents instilled in me the importance of service and giving back to the communities where we lived in the U.S. and abroad, a commitment I have carried throughout my academic and professional career working in municipal government, business, and research.  In the Foreign Service, I knew I would have the opportunity to combine both my passion for service with my experience in international business and economics to help the U.S. foster stronger relations with other countries and to develop strategies and policies for the socio-economic development of local and global communities.
Can you tell us about your summer internship with the State Department? What kind of work did you do, and did you find yourself drawing on what you’ve already learned at SAIS?
This summer I interned in the Office of Intellectual Property and Enforcement in the Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs where I researched intellectual property issues related to trade negotiations in TPP, T-TIP and in social entrepreneurship; drafted U.S. WTO  inter-agency reports for  best practices in technology transfer for least developing countries;  and helped to coordinate a U.S. –China Innovation Dialogue on innovation and intellectual property rights and enforcement.  Over the course of the summer, I found myself drawing upon my legal research and brief writing skills developed through the International Law and Organization courses. These skills, in addition to my economics coursework,  helped me to better comprehend the complexities and challenges to countries who may desire to enact and enforce international property law and regulation, but are unable to do so,  which has had a negative  impact on their countries’ labor force and entrepreneurship, growth in foreign direct investment, and overall economic development.  This understanding allowed me to draft more comprehensive reports and policy recommendations for my senior directors and foreign policy officials in the protection of intellectual property and rights.
You’re an International Law and Organizations concentrator. Why did you choose this particular concentration?
I chose the International Law and Organizations concentration for the practical skills and knowledge I would develop imperative to my development as a Foreign Service Officer and career in international relations. In International Law and Organizations courses, research seminars, and study trips, I learned and actively engaged in the international negotiating, bargaining of treaties, handling dispute settlements between countries and business, drafting treaties and policy, as well as met with senior members of foreign governments, corporations, and NGOs. In addition, I grew in my understanding of the hard and soft law involved in engaging stakeholders around development and human rights issues, important to my growth as a global citizen and future role in foreign policy and diplomacy.
You’re very active in extracurricular life at SAIS. For example, you’re on the SAIS Criminal Moot Court Team—how do your extracurricular activities complement your educational experience?
My involvement with the International Criminal Court Moot Court Team, in addition to participating in the SAIS Accelerator Fund for social enterprises and the Human Rights Clinic, have provided un-paralleled practical experiences that have increased my  professional acumen in international affairs-related concepts and my ability to converse and work on diverse and complex issues in international development.  I also co-founded the SAIS Diversity Council, a student organization whose core mission is to: 1) create a safe and open environment for students, faculty, and staff to engage in discussion and provide institutional feedback on diversity issues most important to them in the SAIS community; and 2) provide students with resources to deal with issues of diversity and inclusion, integral to their professional and personal development.
You are also an MA student interviewer and work in the Admissions Office, so you interact with prospective students and applicants quite a bit. What is the one piece of advice you would give to someone applying for the MA program at SAIS?
The one piece of advice I would give to prospective students is to be yourself. I encourage applicants to use the application process to look introspectively into personal goals and career aspirations and how this investment into a new community and network will propel them to the next level--intellectually, professionally, and personally. Prospective students should not be afraid to highlight their achievements, speak freely about their passions, and demonstrate their drive and resiliency—especially in their interviews and personal statements.
For more information about the Pickering Fellowship, click here.

Thanks for reading!