Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Student Blogger: Meet DaQuan

We’re pleased to introduce a new student blogger.  Enjoy!



My name is DaQuan Lawrence and I am a 2nd year International Law and Organizations, and Conflict Management student at SAIS, aspiring global civil servant and humanitarian who hails from New York City. I was raised in foster homes by an orphaned teenage mother until relocating to Maryland.  A devout social justice activist and human rights aficionado, I earned a B.A. in Sociology, specializing in Philosophy and Criminal Justice from Morgan State University in Baltimore, Maryland in the spring of 2013. I’m interested in international public policy and the politics of race, gender, education, class stratification and urban development. Moreover, I am extremely passionate about developing and empowering underdeveloped states and civil society.

Prior to SAIS I served Baltimore via the AmeriCorps Volunteer In Service To America (VISTA) program, and founded a nonprofit organization that aims to educate, develop, empower, and organize impoverished and at-risk males during their public school or college matriculation. My experiences have created an insatiable desire to work with the world’s marginalized populations. Post SAIS I intend to work on human rights issues and human development projects in underdeveloped states and eventually institute progressive international public policy. I plan to work for international non-government organizations and multinational organizations, and to eventually leverage resources to found my own non-governmental organization (NGO) or civil society organization (CSO) aimed at investing in civil society via urban development projects and human rights campaigns in communities with a high population of women and youth.

–DaQuan, SAIS Admissions Student Blogger