Monday, March 2, 2015

What I Did Over January Break: Meredith P.

Classes have been back in session for a few weeks, so we asked our student bloggers what they did over their winter break.  Enjoy!

Meredith, what did you do over your winter break?
One of the great parts about SAIS is that winter break is over a month long so students have a wonderful opportunity to travel, either through SAIS-organized treks or on their own. Some of the trips that my friends went on that were organized by SAIS were to Israel, Columbia, Myanmar, and Texas. I took advantage of the month off by going to the west coast for the first time in my life to visit one of my best friends from undergrad who is currently living in Los Angeles. It was great to get a break from the work and stress of school and go on a vacation were I could really just relax. I enjoyed leaving snow covered DC and going to sunny, warm southern California for a week and that beak really helped me prepare for my last, hectic semester at SAIS. 
Last winter break I had the opportunity to participate in a SAIS and University of Bologna co-organized trip to Sarajevo. I will always value that trip as one of the best parts of my SAIS education. During our time in Bosnia we met with several international organizations and learned about the ongoing development in the country. Additionally, we had the chance to visit Srebrenica and listen to the wives and mothers of those who were killed in the massacre. Hearing their stories was one of the most moving experiences of my life and really helped me gain a better understanding of the region and conflict management. 
–Meredith P., SAIS Admissions Student Blogger