Wednesday, December 17, 2014

My Advice to SAIS Applicants: Sana A.

Since the M.A. application deadline is just around the corner, we’ve asked our students bloggers to give some advice to all of you planning on applying to SAIS. See what Sana A. has to say below.

Advice to MA Applicants for Fall 2015
I have the opportunity to speak to several prospective SAIS students in the last few months, here in Washington, DC and around the world. One of the things that comes up often is how to select the concentration out of all the options available at SAIS. I respond by sharing my experiences – working on a region for years, I came to the conclusion that the volatile security situation would first need to be stabilized –> naturally leading me to the Strategic Studies concentration. So when I am asked to guide prospective SAISers, I ask them to reflect upon their experiences and future goals just as much they carefully consider the options made available them at SAIS.

Concentrations are regional and functional. Regional concentrations give students a truly immersive experience, and functional concentrations grant students a comprehensive take an issue to a global scale. I have found that prospective students can clearly articulate what motivates them and what they hope to do – and that is the first step to selecting the concentration. I also would like to point out that you can double up in some cases. A friend of mine at SAIS is doing a double concentration in Africa Studies (regional!) and Conflict Management (functional!). So that is also something to keep in mind. This is all in addition to the required. International Economics concentration. SAISers can choose to specialize in something within the International Economics concentration as well. My advice is to feel confident in the final selections you make because that will be the core of your two busy years at SAIS.

–Sana A., SAIS Admissions Student Blogger

Thanks, Sana! We’ll have some more advice from some of our other student bloggers coming over the next few days.

Don’t forget, the M.A. application deadline is January 7. To start (or finish!) your application, click here.