Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thanksgiving in SAIS Europe: Meredith P.

Today, Meredith P. offers an inside look at Thanksgiving traditions at SAIS Europe.  Enjoy!

For Thanksgiving week I am planning to go home to Long Island and spend the holiday with my family. Since last year I was not only in Bologna but also had classes on Thanksgiving, I am really excited this year to have the entire week off to relax. Between spending the last academic year in Italy and interning over the summer in Belgium, I have not spent much time at home and cannot wait to catch up with my family and friends and eat some really good home cooked food.
Last year, SAIS Europe organized a Thanksgiving dinner in the auditorium on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, which was a lot of fun, but not the same as spending the holiday at home. For the event in Bologna, everyone brought one dish with him or her and the student government provided enough turkey for everyone.
I really enjoyed the dinner, with 200 students seated at long tables in the auditorium, eating traditional Thanksgiving food with a few international dishes thrown in. Before the dinner started, the president of our student government pardoned a turkey, which was really a student in a turkey costume, and once the turkey was saved he did a dance for us. The Thanksgiving dinner was one of my favorite student events from last year. This year my Thanksgiving will be much more tame, involving much more catching up on schoolwork and watching tv with my dad, but it’ll be a nice break.
–Meredith P., SAIS Admissions Student Blogger