Sunday, October 26, 2014

What I Did Over the Summer: Meredith P.

Today we have a student blog post by Meredith P.  Enjoy!

What did you do over the summer?
This summer I had the opportunity to intern with Carnegie Europe, the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace’s center in Brussels, Belgium. The European Union has always been my academic focus so when I began my internship search I was certain I wanted to work in Brussels so that I could learn more about the organization. I was thrilled when I was offered an internship with Carnegie Europe. I began my internship in the end of May and continued working through mid-August. My main responsibilities included conducting research on various issues related to European foreign and security policy and assisting at events. I really enjoyed my internship; the office was made up of a great group of people who were dedicated to their jobs but also made coming to work fun. Being part of the larger Brussels professional community was also an amazing experience; there were so many events discussing EU and NATO policy I was able to attend and I was surrounded by so many interesting young professionals from all over the world who would all gather to relax and chat on Thursday evenings outside the European Parliament. Fortunately, there was also many other SAISers interning in Brussels last summer and we were able to explore Belgium together. Some of my favorite trips included biking through the World War I battlefields in Ypres and attending a music festival in the historic city of Ghent. I really enjoyed being part of the Brussels community and although I was very busy I still found time to enjoy the local beer and waffles.
– Meredith P., SAIS Admissions Student Blogger