Thursday, October 16, 2014

Student Blogger: Sirtaj K.

We’re pleased to introduce a new student blogger.  Enjoy!

Who Are You and Why Are You at SAIS?
image
I am Sirtaj, a second year student at SAIS. I was born and raised in India. My mother teaches English and my father is a bureaucrat and I get many of my influences and interests from my parents. At a very young age I developed a love for literature. I would covertly read poetry in math and science classes in high school. During my last year of high school, I started playing the guitar and have been playing ever since. Meanwhile, my conversations with my father roused in me a great interest in politics and foreign affairs.
When it came time for me to decide what I wanted to do with my life, I decided to go to law school. It seemed like a good balance between my passion for politics, writing, and debating, and it was a feasible career option in India. I loved the law but through five years in law school, I felt unsatisfied confining myself to it. During my internships with various lawyers I learned that much of the law was about dealing with procedural issues. I wanted to dwell upon broader issues and develop an understanding of more fields than the law – a more interdisciplinary educational and professional experience.
In my final year at law school, I applied to SAIS and various other international relations programs. SAIS was the best program for me because it offered the most wide ranging and interdisciplinary program. It would also give me the opportunity to interact with experts in the various aspects relating to international affairs.  Now, having spent a year at SAIS, I can easily say I have no regrets.
–Sirtaj K., SAIS Admissions Student Blogger