Saturday, October 18, 2014

Student Blogger: Meredith P.

My name is Meredith and I am a second year student at Johns Hopkins SAIS. I am an American from Long Island, New York and I have a Bachelors degree from Boston University in International Relations. I started attending SAIS the fall after I graduated from undergrad. I decided that graduate school was the best option for me at that time because I knew that I wanted to work in international affairs and I wanted to gain a more specialized knowledge before entering the workforce. SAIS was my first choice because of the opportunity to spend one year abroad and due to the curriculum’s emphasis on economics. While I had taken some classes in economics before, I was interested in taking more advanced courses in the field in order to supplement my background in politics.

I just arrived in Washington DC in late August after spending my first year on the Bologna Campus in Italy. I have always been interested in European politics and here at SAIS I have chosen to concentrate on European studies. Therefore I greatly appreciated the opportunity to spend my first year in Bologna, where I was able to experience the European lifestyle firsthand. The chance to explore Italy, the study trips available to European capital cities, and all the delicious Italian food made my time in Bologna one of the best years of my life. I’m looking forward to spending my second year in DC and taking advantage of all the opportunities available at SAIS and around the city.

–Meredith P., SAIS Admissions Student Blogger