Friday, October 17, 2014

Student Blogger: Matthew B.

We are pleased to introduce a new student blogger.  Enjoy!

Hello prospective SAISers!
image
I’m Matthew, a Louisiana native, and a first year here at SAIS in DC. I’m going to introduce what I do and why I’m at SAIS, so bear with me if it gets a little dry.
I’m dual concentrating in Conflict Management and African Studies.  I chose Conflict Management, or CM for short, because I want to get into a foreign affairs/assistance career within the US government–in particular, the Foreign Service. CM so far is a good blend of negotiation, mediation, and diplomacy that fits what I’m looking for, but feel free to ask me any questions about it as the year goes on.  My second concentration, African studies, or AFSTUD for short (nobody calls it that. yet.), is more in line with my interests before I came to SAIS. While I was an undergrad (I went to Tulane, roll wave) I worked on a thesis that examined western european social reactions to North African migration. After undergrad, I spent a year working for the NGO International Organization for Migration in Seoul, South Korea. It was a crazy time, but after all was said and done, I was ready to go to SAIS in DC, where I could try to shift into a new career though the school’s courses and the city’s networking opportunities. That’s how I came to pick my concentrations, and why I decided the DC campus over SAIS Europe for my first year. I look forward to sharing with y'all my experiences as I transition back to America, school, and DC in general.
–Matt B., SAIS Admissions Student Blogger